This page contains many print and video resources to investigate the issues surrounding ethanol as a biofuel. The sections below contain links to various resources you can read or view as you explore ethanol.
Ethanol and Food Prices
There is a debate about the effect of ethanol production and food prices. Below are some resources that discuss this debate.
- Myth: Corn Ethanol Increases Food Prices
- Study: Ethanol Mandates Causing Spiraling U.S. Food Prices
- Corn, Ethanol and Food Prices
- Ethanol Demand Causing Rising Food Prices
Ethanol as Fuel
Ethanol is becoming a significant source of fuel. The resources below include information on the use of ethanol as a fuel source.
- Pros and Cons of Ethanol Fuel
- 19 Pros and Cons of Corn Ethanol
- Ethanol in Your Gas Tanks – Pros and Cons
Ethanol production is becoming big business. To understand ethanol as a fuel, you must understand how ethanol production works and what the by-products of the process are. The resources below explain the process of ethanol production.
- Energy Balance of Ethanol
- Issue Brief Ethanols Energy Balance
- Net energy balance
- Negative Impacts of Ethanol
- Purdue Publication – Ethanol Production Article
- How Ethanol is Made
- Interactive Tour of Ethanol Production Process
Ethanol is typically produced from corn. However, other feedstocks can be used to produce ethanol. The resources below contain information on feedstock sources that can be used to produce ethanol.